View Single Post
Old 01-22-2017, 08:16 AM   #3
Flathead

The housing was built by me. I needed to put the oem carb in space indicated by fist in picture. I wanted a filter also. I took some flower arrangement foam and shaped the part. You have to get all the details in your foam part right before you fiberglass it. After glassing it & allowing to dry, pour gas through it & the foam runs out. TADA! You have a part.
This sounds easy but the reality is that in tight spaces such as this you will have a few failed attempts.
The reason it looks the way it does with filter on end is the carb needs a measured volume of air to operate the diaphram & needle. Usually the filter is behind carb with box wrapped around it & a small intake hole located on box somewhere. I just changed the set up to have the measured volume behind carb with filter on small intake hole. Same outcome just different arrangement. The volume of air & intake hole size are important. The folks that just add pods to oem cv carbs are often taken for a tuning nightmare of a ride without an end. If you are going to change a filter set up on oem cv carbs you have to be a thinker to get it right. The carb has 130 main & 30 secondary with oem idle jet. No stall or lulls at any throttle position, just hard pull through gears.

Login or Register to Remove Ads