View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
kongjie

Re: Looking at a used 2006

Turned out that the bike was registered in the wife's name, so registration was a snap.

I had it towed to and from the shop so I wouldn't have to deal with my first ride being a long ride home in traffic. Got it back and went for my first ride over the weekend, and now am commuting to work.

The shop drained and checked the gas tank, changed the oil, and checked the battery. I told them to replace the tires, as the tires were original from 2006. However the bike has been garage-kept and only has 700 miles, and after checking the tires for possible problems the shop advised me to keep them. They don't show any cracking and are still sticky, in his words.

My first day out I was crestfallen. I went 1/4 mile blocks and the bike stalled, and after a couple of attempts the battery wouldn't turn it over anymore. I pushed it home and when I got to the top of the hill where I live I decided to give push-starting a try. It worked!

Since then I haven't had any problems starting. I got a multimeter and the battery tested fine at rest; running it only got up to about 13.2 volts, so I'm a little concerned about that--the manual says it should read 13.5–15. I got a battery tender but am not sure if it is worthwhile to use it as I ride the bike every day.