Thread: Helmet
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: Helmet

I have a full and a three quarter. Wear the 3/4 around town and the full on the freeway. Don't really have any logic why but I like wearing the 3/4 much better than the full, but there is no protection for your lower face. Full face is the way to go if you want the most protection, but also weigh the most and are most annoying to wear. They will help cut down on wind a bit if you don't have a windshield.

If you ride for long periods of time, invest in a lighter weight (more expensive) helmet. Mine are on the heavy side and I really feel it after two or three hours.

Do you wear glasses? Then you might need a flip-up or a modular kind if you get a full face.

Make sure the stuffing is removable and washable. Make sure you try on the helmet and get some expert advice on the fit. (Should be tight on your cheeks - and a little "extra" tight when new as they will compress over the first two weeks.) All sizes are different, even within the same manufacturer. Only buy helmets online that you have already purchased or tried on.

There are a lot of motorcyle accident picture sites you can look at that show the aftermath of helmets. If you look at one of them, you might be more inclined to go with a full-face. Personally, I think it's a matter of choice - riding a motorcycle is dangerous whether you have a helmet or not, but as a relative newb, I think I am more than likely to have a serious crash at some point and I don't want to add to the risk of being brain damaged or have my face all fucked up.

Good luck Nutter - I am in the market for a new (lighter) helmet myself and, frankly, shopping for one is a pain in the ass.