View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #20
Easy Rider

Re: Valve adjustment for the GZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput
cool, so the 2 in front are exhaust and 2 in back are intake.
Thanks for the help.
OK, that is true but how did you deduce THAT from this:

"2 valves on the exhaust side and 2 valves on the intake side." :??: :shocked:

As to the other question:
Take the spark plug out. It makes the engine MUCH easier to rotate.

You want to find TDC on the compresssion stroke. That occurs when the piston is coming UP and both valves are closed. They both stay closed as you go past TDC for a ways.

The other time the piston is at the top, the exhaust valves will be open (starting to close) and the intake valves will be closed and starting to open. That is NOT the spot you want.

If you have trouble telling what the piston is doing:
Drop a LONG soda straw or something similar into the plug hole. This will tell you the relative position of the piston. Be sure you use something long enough that it won't disappear into the chamber.

I'm guessing the straw trick won't be necessary as the marks probably only line up at the two above points......which are pretty easy to tell apart just by watching the valves.

Good luck!

And I'm not trying to be a smart ass but anybody who has really worked on 4 stroke gas engines much at all should know that already. They all work the same regardless of the size.

AND I am just trying to keep you from getting in over your head and making things worse......really. :cool: