View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 02:12 PM   #4
kilo0195

Ok for anyone actually following this I just went up from a 16t sprocket to a 17t on my 300... so that's 2 over. Keep in mind I'm 150-155 lbs 5'6". Wish I knew the rpm of the motor... will have to install a tach at some point... but I'm very pleased with the results. I bought a generic JT sprockets suzuki, Yamaha, etc 17t 520 sprocket on eBay for $12 that had the same tooth pattern. A custom sprocket was going to be $97 and for something I didn't know was going to work... yeh... $12 is do much better. The splines are just a tad loose so I took up the space with some thread tape temporarily. Will go for a custom one or a shop said they can possibly electroplate the inside splines of the sprocket... I'm not a machinist so I have no idea what they're talking about. Back to the point, the 17t was very nice in town. I lost a little bit of that traffic light to light speed it had on the 16, but made up for everything in that my shift points are ideal for what I'm used to on larger bikes speed wise. On the highway doing 55mph in 4th is about where it was in 5th on a 15t sprocket. I still had enough torque to peg the speedometer on the flats and enough to easily maintain 75 on the hills. From experience with the 16t that will suffer drastically if I ride 2 up with one of my kids. My youngest at 50 lbs I'd guess 70 on hills would be easily maintainable. My oldest at 110lbs I would guess around 65ish... this is based on my experience 2 up on the 16t sprocket and scaling it to the 17t and how it rode. For someone much bigger I'd keep it 16t... then again if I was much bigger, a gz250 would not be the bike I'd be riding. I can already keep pace with some of the larger 750s on cruises even when they punch it to pass etc. I'd imagine the lower rpms of the 17t will at least make it feel like I'm not riding on a giant adult sex toy at 70mph.