View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 08:53 PM   #19
5th_bike

Re: Shifting Gears / Clutch / Transmission --- How to operat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7653
Follow-up question for 5th bike: Your answer to this doesn't make sense to me. I thought I just got told by JWR (see his post above) that pushing the shift lever down ALWAYS puts your gear into first, even if it is from fifth gear. If this is true, then how is it possible to go from fifth gear to fourth, fourth to third?

Thanks.
Well others already answered your question I think - pulling in the clutch is one thing. Pulling in the clutch disengages the coupling between the engine and the wheel.

Shifting is another thing. Shifting selects another pair of cogwheels inside the gearbox such that the rpm ratio between the engine and the rear wheel changes. You shift one gear at a time ([1 to 2] and [2 to 1] via neutral being the exception). But you can hold in the clutch, and use your foot to shift up or down all 5 gears - you don't have to release the clutch and pull it back in to shift to the next gear.

That said - you can't switch from gear 5 to gear 3 with one movement of the foot. You need to push the shifter down twice for that.
So one push down with your left foot will only get you in first gear: a) from neutral b) from 2nd gear (whereas pushing down gently will get you in neutral from 2nd gear). You will learn by practicing this.

I hope this clears things up a bit.