View Single Post
Old 05-26-2018, 11:37 AM   #9
ndmuscutt

Irate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmuscutt View Post
Guys, I'm very sorry that I've taken so long to get back to this thread. Life's busy and my bike looks pathetic in the driveway all torn apart.

Anyway, it's been a week or so since I've looked at it. Here's what I did just now:

1. I disconnected the battery terminals from the bike's leads. Then I connected jumper leads from the car battery (car not running, thank you): Black to the bike's ground. Then red to the starter lead (negative side) of the bike's solenoid. The bike turned over.

2. I then connected the positive to the positive side of the solenoid. The headlight came on full and the bike had electrical. Hit the start switch and the bike turned over. Was very happy about this. So, I turned it over again and suddenly it just quit completely. The strange this was that the headlight went to brown-out (half-lit).

3. Disconnected the positive lead from the positive side of the solenoid and put it straight to the starter, with black on the bike's ground. Got a huge spark and the positive lead welded instantly to the starter terminal, smoking and I had to tear it off.

So, I'm not a good electrician, but I'm going to venture a guess: The short is in the starter and the starter needs to be replaced. The starter will turn over a couple times if it's cold. But after it gets a little heat, something inside shorts. That's my guess. But I'm only guessing. I'm all ears for your input.

Thanks guys.

OK. So, an update once again.

I took the starter out and bench-tested it from the car battery. Ran just fine. Didn't appear to have any shorts. I hate these dead-ends. So, here's what I did next.

1. Tested for continuity between the bike's positive terminal lead and the bike's ground. There was continuity. Hmmm. . .

2. Tested for continuity between the positive and negative terminals on the solenoid. Yes. Continuity. Crap.

3. Tested the bike's battery voltage. Just curious. 6.8 volts. Crap. Somehow the battery must have gotten fried.

4. Connected the jumper leads to the bike's positive and negative leads. The starter clicked like it was trying to turn over without the key being on.

So, here's the thing. I just replaced this solenoid. This is a new one. Is it possible that it's stuck in the closed position?

Now the other thing that's really puzzling me is that, in my last post, you can see that the solenoid seemed to work just fine! And when I put the jumper right on the starter, that's when the cables started smoking. Putting this post and my earlier post together, I'm really stumped.

Again, I'm all ears.

Last edited by ndmuscutt; 05-26-2018 at 11:49 AM.