Thread: new girl riding
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
dentheman

Re: new girl riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
At the 1st oil/filter change on the Vstrom I put in synthetic oil. It did improve the shifting quite noticeably. After another 4 or 5 changes with Amsoil synthetic I switched to cheap Shell Rotella 15-40 and the shifting is still buttery smooth. A lot of the smoothness can be atributed to everything in the tranny and clutch finally wearing in very smoothly after 30,000 or 40,000 kms. Most transmissions will be a little notchy when new even with a good synthetic oil. A deliberate but smooth shift is the best. A half hearted dab at the shifter can lead to a false neutral between gears and quite dangerous in some traffic situations.
I do occassionaly run into a shifting problem with the Shadow, only when the engine is really hot, after miles at highway speeds. At a stop it will not go into first, or I think it is in first but it is in second. This has caused a couple embarassing/dangerous moments. Now I double check and I can engage the clutch slightly when stopped to get it into first. But I do want to see if synthetic oil will help.