View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 05:31 PM   #14
mrlmd1

Re: UPDATE - New K&N Filter, Emgo Muffler, and Carburator Mods

Does anyone actually do time trials or runs with a good stopwatch or dyno testing to see if these mods really give the claimed improvement? Everyone says "I notice a big difference", "it has much more power now", etc, etc. How much of this is real and how much is the louder exhaust and poorer gas mileage and ego involved in reaching these conclusions? If all those mods gave a 5 or 7% power increase, do you get 5 or 7% faster acceleration, or how much, what percentage increase do you get, and how much do you shorten the life of the engine by increased wear, and by how much do you decrease the resale value of the bike when the next owner realizes you are screwing with it to get it to go as fast as you can? I'm not criticizing anyone who does this, after all I have Saw boxes for bags on my bike, I'd just like to know. Do you think you are really improving on the Suzuki engineers who designed and developed this thing? If they could get 22hp instead of 20 out of the engine without seriously diminishing it's life and reliability, don't you think they would have done that? Would be a great selling point to have that increase in power at no real downside cost. I'd just like to see some objective data that shows that this effort and expense accomplishes something.
The 16T sprocket is another story, some like it, some don't, depends on riding style and use of the bike.