View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 11:24 AM   #13
alanmcorcoran

The "box" is a...

...rectangle, about 15 X 40 ft (not really sure of exact dimensions) You enter it at a two cone gate at the far right of the short side, riding parallel to, but inside, the long side. At about 3/4 of the way in, you turn to the left and execute a U-turn inside the far end of the box. Immediately following the first U turn, you continue, crossing back over to the original side (but now coming back in the opposite direction) and then execute a second u-turn and then head out of the box through a second cone gate on the opposite side you entered (parallel to the left side). Basically you ride into the rectangle then execute most of a figure eight, and then ride out. The challenge is that it is kind of narrow so you have to do two linked tight turns in a short radius.

I've read many descriptions of this from people all over the country, but it may not be part of IA's test. I does seem to be part of MSF's training. It was the only part of the test that people consistently had trouble with. I managed to do it for the test, but I'd blown it three times prior. Key is to look over your shoulder in the direction you are turning (behind you), and not at the box lines. It also helps if you do it on a small bike. Speed control is also key. You want to initiate the turn almost at a slow coast, but give it a little bit of throttle midway to maintain centrifugal force.

I found as long as I did the looking, the rest came naturally. I didn't practice at all prior to the day of the test as I was unaware of the exercise. I had about 4 or 5 shots at it as part of the MSF class before I was tested it on it. Think I got it right only once in practice. Good luck. Don't worry if you go over the line, or even if you put your foot down, you can still pass. Just don't drop the bike.

Login or Register to Remove Ads