View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 05:59 AM   #6
greatmaul

Re: 1999 Suzuki Marauder vz800 Starter issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithuth
Hmm, I was thinking similar and pulled connections. It looked pretty clean, but I'll take the wire wheel to it and see what happens.

I did find a starter solenoid for $19.99 shipped, maybe I'll eliminate that by replacing it right away and re-cleaning the contact points on all terminals going to it.
I think, and I may be wrong, that when they're talking about the solenoid being grimy and not making contact, they're talking about the inside part of it, not the external connectors. Inside, it's like a big electrical switch, that when it clicks, it sends the full battery current to the starter motor. If the insides are dirty, it might click but not make the power connection needed.

Of course, as others have mentioned here, motorcycles have all sorts of "in-between" switches that all need to be engaging properly for the bike to start: side stand switch, neutral switch, clutch lever switch, etc.

I'm not sure if it was one of those, though, that your solenoid would still click. It's been my understanding that if you don't pull the clutch, for instance, you get nothing when you push the starter switch, not the solenoid clicking.

I'm not much of a mechanic, though, and especially not on motorcycles.