View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 02:06 AM   #29
HumbleNewRider

Re: Backpack Recommendations??

I'm looking for a "system" myself for carrying stuff also. I don't have a solution, but I lean toward those that attach the cargo to the bike (either directly or inside saddlebags or a tank/tail bags, etc). I'll add a thought I didn't see posted.

I'm staying away from a backpack for one reason. It is my perception they could be a determent in a crash (especially if the pack was heavily loaded - with w/ school books). From what I've read, back injuries occur in about 13% of motorcycle accidents; however, only about 3% of accidents result in any neurological damage. But, those are the worse!! The back / spine protectors have debatable benefit (at least that's what I've read); because, the neurological damage primarily comes from torsional rotation, not impact. I've concluded (for now anyway) that rolling along the pavement with a bulky back pack could keep the upper body for rolling while the lower body does. But, I also realize that large boots could slow down the rotation of your lower body. So, I clearly see this could be debatable also.

I don't think there are any studies on it --- and it is probably like so many other things (such as which oil is best, what air pressure to use, which helmet), there are very good pros and cons. So, it comes down to a personal preference as to what we are comfortable with. But for now, I'm not an advocate of back packs.

I like the hard saddle bags or the hard tail box like alantf has. They have a bit more security than the softsided stuff. But, the soft bags (or even back packs) that are strapped/secured to the back rest, tank, or seat at least have the advantage that you can easily carry them inside with you.

I haven't decided exactly what direction I'm going yet, other than I've ruled out back packs.

Phillip