View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 01:19 PM   #20
gzlocal

Re: Fixed leaking petcock; Don't buy a new one yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Sorry, but I'm still not convinced about the vandal theory. Like GzRider said, you've got to know exactly which plug it is, then contort yourself into an uncomfortable position under the bike, then undo a badly designed plug with the correct wrench. I've often convinced myself that there's nothing I've forgotten (like torquing it up tight) then having doubts, some time later, & finding out that those doubts were well founded. It's just one of us fallible human being things.

I reckon a vandal is more likely to do something easy, like one did to mine. Chop the starter motor cable, which is quick, easy, and unobtrusive to do.
I think GZlocal explains his reasoning for his suspicion well. It's possible that the stars all aligned just right and it just fell out but I have seen instances of businesses druming up business through vandalism. Two examples that come to mind are tire companies throwing nails on the road (I once saw a business caught doing that) and a glass company driving around neighborhood breaking windows.

I might ask other riders at the school if they have had or heard of similar experiences. I might also look for the tell tale oil puddles that would cause.
I KNEW that guy that sold me the plug at Ridenow looked suspicious! I bet he's the one who boinked my plug! :yes: lol

Because of winter not many people are riding, but some I've spoken to have had things randomly happen to them in a similar fashion. Caps go missing, cables get cut, tires get poked. I think/hope it was an isolated incident. Random things like that happen all over campus. Most people I know that ride bikes have Ninjas or Sportsters, and they have alarm systems. But good fortune does not have a habit of following me around.

I found a plug from a Mercedes I think that was the same thread size. It is a 14mm Allen head bolt. I matched them up with the one I bought at Ridenow. My buddy worked for a trucking company, and these types of bolts are common on diesel trucks. So he swapped me one. I know you can get them online pretty cheap, and I know some motorcycles use those to begin with. I'm not sure what the sizes of the threads are, I can look them up and post them if people wish. That way you can cross reference them with plugs online if anyone wishes to make a swap.

And I hope the tire company wasn't the one I buy my tires from...I seem to pick up a lot of nails...