View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #19
bmxr123

Re: Bike won't start

If there is not even a "click" from the starter solenoid but your bike lights up then you are looking at a break in the ignition circuit. QD (CNC) electronics cleaner is your friend.

Assuming all fused connections have been checked and battery leads are tight:

-Remove the kickstand switch and spray inside while pressing and releasing the switch.Do this until you once again feel the definitive "metal on metal" feeling.
-Disassemble the starter switch and get both the starter button AND the kill/run switch clean (with QD cleaner and a small carb brush or something similar)
-Clean the clutch safety switch plug and its contacts(found at left switch / clutch handle area) Or just connect a 1/2 inch wire to each end of the harness-side of the plug as a temporary "test-mode" method.
-Clean and check neutral indicator switch (behind the front sprocket cover).
-Disconnect the plug on the starter solenoid and clean the contacts on both sides. Take out the 20amp fuse in the solenoid and spray some cleaner while working that fuse in and out a few times.

I have brought a lot of back to life with the above steps. I usually do this without even breaking out the multimeter, as it shouldn't take more the 45 minutes to cover all your bases anyways.

The GZ250 i recently worked on had Co-existing issues found in both the kill/run switch(oxidation) and the kickstand switch(road grime/chain grease inside of the switch that you could feel and hear!). The bike would not start and run properly until BOTH of these issues were addressed.

Electrical issues can be so discouraging but they can be made easy if you are prepared(with QD cleaner and a small brush set) and thorough. Not all continuity issues can be solved with a can of cleaner and a brush, but while clicking the "buy it now" button you can at least say you tried! In all seriousness though, cleaning the electrical parts associated with the ignition circuit USUALLY works. hehe