View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #8
SpiritOaks

Re: How to make a tank bib/bra

Hi guys! I must have a thing for posts from 2008. ROFL Nice work Graydog and Sarris! I love seeing people create their own pieces.

I plan on making one of these myself probably...as well as the tail piece..probably a tank bag (already have the rare earth magnets) and of course have my plans for shaving and reupholstering the seat with real leather.
I know it's probably way late for you guys, but any future people reading this, it might be a good tip for...buy your supplies off of eBay instead of from Tandy (not trying to take business away from Tandy or saying they are bad) because you can find TONS of scrap leather for almost dirt prices...often sold by weight, or volume. It's a really big difference in price and quality. As an example... for the supplies needed for this project...in real leather....even Buffalo, it would be around $5, possibly less (but then I also buy larger amounts at one time to avoid running up shipping prices. And they have EVERY kind of animal leather at that....as well as fur scraps. I hand cut all of my own lacing as well...from the scraps. I do also buy at Powwows when I go. I have yet to be able to make myself cut into a complete leather hide...just....can't....do...it. :shocked: :horse:
For a little background on me and my knowledge of this...I make Native American "inspired" (I'm not offically native...so it is illegal and immoral to claim so) Medicine/Fetish/Tobacco bags...plus all handmade Dreamcatchers, stone fetishes (not that stone has anything to do with bikes lol)...and basically anything that can be made from leather, fur, feathers and animal and/or plant (vine and "raw" wood) parts.
I have one of the old leather punches and could not live without it...although I did for the first few years of my creating. I simply used an awl. A really good pair of seamstress scissors is also essential, especially helpful when cutting lacing...unless of course you are blessed enough to actually own a lacing cutter. Oh and cannot forget the sinew...manmade of course...the real deal is expensive and hard to find.
I am so psyched about making my own pieces...just need to clear out a bunch of clutter so I can get back to making this fun stuff...heck I may even have a new avenue of creation...custom bike bibs and tails! :2tup: I also have a slew of special feathers set aside to add to my leather jacket. I've been picking up feathers for YEARS. lol
If anyone would like to see the type of stuff I make, my OLLLLLD work can be seen at my old website...
http://www.whitebearcreations.com
This site has not been updated since 2001...so keep that in mind, but it will give you an idea of what I make.
[center:2upkx24c]Oort Gray Metallic YHG[/center:2upkx24c]