View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Re: relal km/mileage in my bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by trionyx
Hello,
I'm quiet new in this forum..a few weeks ago I have bought a bike which is built in 2003.
After a few weeks as I get more familiar in this bike - I started to read this forum - I noticed that the chain is too long....and it has also been already changed, it is a Regina O-ring chain mounted. As I know the original chain is made by DID. So I started to think about the real mileage of the bike.
I mean the instrument displays 7000km (approx. 4300miles), but the chain isn't the oroginal one, and it is also weared. The sprocket and the rear toothed wheel is in perfect condition (no sign of any wear, still the original ones.)
Also the tires are the original, already 9 years old, the DOT number is the same as my bike manufacturing year. Each tire is Sava (original tire in the European market) The front tire looks great, thread depth is more than 4mm (not measured exactly), the rear tire is already more used, it's thread is 2,6mm deep.
What is your opinion, how long the original tire lasts, how many km/mile colud be the real mileage of this bike? What do you recommend to check, which parts does really showes me it's mileage?
Thanks in advence!
Chain wear is a puzzle to many riders. Some bikes get excellant kms from a chain and others just will not. The previous owner may have been very lax with chain maintenance and not adjusting it properly. The Regina O-ring chain is a good one so don't frett too much. Clean it with kerosene, wipe dry with a cloth, lube and adjust it. Do not over tighten the chain, you are better off having a little more slack than no slack at all. The owners manual here will give you the proper numbers for slack and the procedure for adjusting. If the chain is too long then it is probably worn out and in need of replacing. You should check the front sprocket for wear. It works much harder than the rear sprocket. If everything looks good just ride and continue with regular maintenance.

On to your tires. You need new tires. Any tire over 5 years old is going to hurt you. The rubber gets hard and slippery. No grip means you will fall sooner than later. Even more so if it is wet or raining. The tires may look good but it really is an illusion when it comes to your safety and welfare.

Welcome to the forum

Login or Register to Remove Ads