Thread: GPS
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #23
Easy Rider

Re: GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I'd a probably been screwed if it was at night or I was in Atlanta. Still, part of me says I might as well get a purse and pantyhose to go with if I ever break down and get one of those things.
Yea sure. Like you aren't a wussy already! :crackup

But seriously.......IN Atlanta isn't too bad; it's NEAR Atlanta and off the Interstates where you can get lost for DAYS. :roll:

I got one recently (about 8 months ago). Actually, I'm on the second one as the first wasn't "good enough". For the most part, I think it is just a "toy" for the casual traveler UNTIL you try to navigate your way through a major Metro area. Sure maps are available for places like Atlanta, LA, Chicago, DFW, New York, etc. but they tend to be difficult to handle and hard to read without a magnifying glass. In those situations alone, I find that my GPS "payed for itself" after only 3 trips.

They will NOT save you from your own stupidity though. When asking someone in a major metro area for their address, you need to get the WHOLE address. You cannot assume that since they did not volunteer "Podunk Suburb" that they are in the city of Atlanta. Sometimes streets with exactly the same name are 30 miles apart. Guess how I know that!

Note: It especially pisses you off when you take a 60 mile detour to get to a place you were only 5 miles away from to start with!! :skull:

Second note: None of that was on the bike. I did not take the GPS with me on my bike trip and was sorry when I went exploring north of Atlanta and had to stop and buy a map to get back home!!! Next time I will take it but don't intend to have it ON unless needed. Too much of a distraction.

Login or Register to Remove Ads