View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #29
Skunkhome

Re: So I checked out a used GZ for the first time...

The problem with the dealerships is that they put a premium on their "going Through it" If he has the plates and registration in his name then it is likely that he also has a title in his name somewhere. (usually can't get her registered without a clear title). It could be that he had some issues preventing the registration until now. Down here you have to have a motorcycle endorsement in order to register any bike in your name. I once bought a scooter that had been transferred twice and had the title but was never registered due to the endorsement requirement. I had to pay sales taxes and registration for each transfer of ownership to get her registered in my name.. I now make a point to ask if they have the title and a current registration in their name before going a step further. With my GZ I had the registration and plate and was riding for about two weeks before getting my title in the mail from the state. Not having the title in hand does not necessarily mean you are scamming someone. I used to sell cars and it was a common issue for people to show up with a trade without title in hand. The usual reason was "we can't find the title". I would still do the deal but charged them $100 extra to generate a new title with the provision that I would refund the money if they found the title and returned with it in 24 hours. They would usually return with the title in hand within the hour to collect their money. All they needed was a reason to spend the time looking for it. It is so easy to paint everyone with a wide brush.