Thread: GPS
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 07:13 AM   #21
Badbob

Re: GPS

If you ride back roads you are likely to find that they are some what lacking in signs. A GPS could be very useful on these roads. Unlike the Google maps avoid highways feature that like many people thinks a back road is anything that isn't an interstate. My definition of a back road is anything that is two lanes or less and not a US highway although there are some US highways that fit. These are usually state, county, or forest service roads.

Signs get stolen. US29 for miles either side of Deals Gap is missing signs. I can only assume that people are stealing them. Its very irritating to drive 20 miles out of your way because someone took the sign at a major intersection.

On a recent trip I spent the night somewhere I did not intend to be because the state of Tennessee has a noticeable lack of signs. There maybe 5 routes joined together on the same road but there is only one sign except at junctions. Asking directions wasn't helpful. This can make it difficult to find your way. A GPS would have been very useful.

Then there is weather. Its hard to use paper maps in the rain. You have to find some where that you can stop and get out of the rain. If your GPS is water proof it will work where you can't use paper maps.

I think they complement each other. Paper maps give you the big picture with a few details. GPS tells you where you are, which way to go, where you have been, and much more.

Login or Register to Remove Ads