View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
alanmcorcoran

Re: how much freeway driving?

kmkindred,

I am a former freeway wuss on the GZ. I can do it okay now, but I don't really like it. There is a huge difference if the highway is smooth asphalt or Effed up concrete. (Out here it's mostly effed up concrete and very exhausting.)

If you have smooth asphalt, and low wind, the GZ should be able to do 65 without busting a nut. There are some nice freeway stretches around here that I actually enjoy riding on, but they are few and far between.

The typical speed of the traffic is another factor. If everyone is going 85 and switching lanes like Speed Racer, you WILL NOT LIKE IT.

My recommendation is to plan a shorter test ride that starts and ends at your house. (say 100 miles.) Over time, you will get more and more confident, but I really clenched up for those first few months. I suspect you might survive the ride, but you won't enjoy it very much.

Finally, it's extremely NOT recommended for various safety reasons, but in tense situations on high speed slabs, I have found a great deal of comfort in drafting behind (75 feet or more) slow moving semi's. I know I will get throttled for suggesting this, but, it cuts down the wind, you can go faster, you are protected from weavers, over all, it's a lot easier on your nerves. Just assume they CANNOT see you back there.

Wear earplugs. A full face shield and/or windshield will help too. And some heavy gloves. And sun glasses,