View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
gtfoss1986

Big Man Little Bike

Hello all,

I'm sorry if this has been posted before, or earlier. I've been getting the itch to motorcycle for a long time now. And now that I finally got the funds saved up I'm going to get a bike. I do a crap ton of research on anything before I buy it, but looking at motorcycles has to be one of the hardest as everyone is so opinionated, but what better way to get to the source of information than a fan based group on a specific model. I bought a 2009 Yamaha zuma last year with 0 miles on it in March 2013. It was still in the crate , I love my peppy little two stroke in town and it does 48 with me on it. I put 1,600 miles on it when I stored it for the winter in October.

I have been out shopping and found that I want to start out on a 250, a few sites and people told me that I need something bigger being 6ft almost 300 pounds. The dealership I bought my zuma at was the nicest they told me to only buy on what I am comfortable on, and if that means a 250 than so be it, they didn't look down at me for wanting one which is why I put a reserve deposit down on a 2009 GZ250 with 2,100 miles on it and my price would be $1,800. It looks pristine, and I am waiting for warmer weather to test it, plus I trust these guys not to sell me crap as they know I am a repeat customer.

My issues are, will I be putting undo stress on this motorcycle with my size, I actually felt very comfortable on it but I worry about the machine?

Can it handle my weight as far as speed for hwy? I want to go up in Door County as I live in Green Bay WI which is about 45 mins of hwy at 65 mph and about 45 mins of hwy at 55 mph? will I damage my engine?

Are bigger guys a laughing stock on smaller bikes, it didn't really feel small on me at all?

Anyone here have experience with this?

Any help would put my mind to ease, I appreciate the feedback whether positive or negative, and sorry to make this first post so long and boring.

Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads