View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
gzlocal

Re: Fixed leaking petcock; Don't buy a new one yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzlocal
I just changed it two days before
Are you sure you remember tightening the plug properly? It's easy to put it in finger tight, then get sidetracked, & forget to go back & tighten it up before filling the oil. Could've taken a couple of days to shake itself loose. Seems more likely than someone bringing the correct wrench & then crawling under a bike in a public place, then having to get cleaned up because they got oil all over their hands. :??:

I agree (and this time I READ your post GZlocal, sorry about that). That plug should be torqued to 20 lb. ft. and I take that very seriously. You lucked out having it fail the way you did. Also since I assume you had a puddle under your bike, you lucked out as I believe the UNC system has a policy of removing/towing bikes that leak fluids.

I think a torque wrench should be included with any motorcycle. Get one that clicks if you don't have one. They are the easiest to use in my opinion.
No worries Gz rider. And oh yes, I absolutely torque it down tight. I learned that lesson a long time ago when changing the oil on my car. I have a torque wrench, but I usually just use a breaker bar and get it very snug to avoid things like this, because it would be difficult to remove with a standard socket wrench that way, which most people carry around in their cars. I don't believe it was necessarily an act of theft as much as it was an act of vandalism. I guess someone hatin' on bikers maybe.

I know they stole it because there was no trail of oil leading up to my parking spot. And there would have been since the speed limit is a ridiculous 20 mph. There was also no plug under my bike if it had to have happened to fall out there. I'm telling you, the things I've seen around that campus are beyond something any normal human would do.