View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 07:14 AM   #1
gz250dude

I feel like I've made a mistake, but love the bike now.

So I don't quite know how i stumbled into the highway speed posts last night but anyway I starting reading one and it concerned me so I searched for more.

Now I hope some more experienced riders can help me here but basically am I am going to destroy this bike in short order if 75% of its life is spent at 70 - 75mph? I've had two bikes for a while now, both my Burgman 400 and my 1999 Honda Helix 250cc scooter and use the Burgman for weekends / long trips and fun. The Helix is same engine size / configuration / horsepower as the GZ and they basically offer the same performance / power, however I've run the Helix at 70 - 75mph for years now (89,000 miles) with no problems and I expected the GZ could handle it the same. From what I read this is not true with the exception of Jonathoniq chiming in on these threads to set everyone straight.

So here is the thing, if it can't handle it then I will be disappointed because I like it but I don't want to just blow engines on this bike for fun. I am happy with the highway power and passing abilities of the bike so my post is not related to that aspect but rather will this destroy the engine in daily use. The reason I got this GZ is because I like the $$ savings from the Helix 250 all these years and I really like it on the GZ to, it does even better on gas and so far the tires are lasting great.

So help me out here with your thoughts - do I sell this bike and looking for another late model Helix to continue on my commute or will this bike handle it. I like the Helix but at 90,000 miles now it's age is showing and its starting to become troublesome honestly - I am not interested in doing what's needed to fix it up either so it will now serve as a backup bike to the GZ and it will assume the commuting duty. But if I got the wrong bike for the job then I will pickup a used Helix or Honda Reflex 250 with about 85,000 less miles than my current one for the task

Also - I read in alot of these posts people are not able to get above 65 or just barely to 70. I am no feather weight at 250lbs, probably 275 with gear and my backpack and mine does 70 without WOT and will easily get up to about 83mph if I want, but I don't regularly go more than 70 - 72 range with a few 75mph bursts to pass trucks or something. Why would mine seem so much faster, it appears to be stock to the best of my knowledge?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by gz250dude; 05-18-2015 at 07:37 AM.