View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008, 11:39 PM   #13
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider
trykemike,
Glad to hear someone has got some use out of my posts. My bike runs much smoother now. I'm not sure if it's the tweaks to the carb or the free flowing air filter. The biggest difference I've noticed is that at lower speeds I'm using significantly less throttle which I'd expect with a less restrictive intake. I gotta keep an eye on my speed. I find myself wanting to use the same throttle position as before and end up speeding. I suppose I'll adjust after a few weeks. Also I switched to using the horn for the tach. power supply. I should probably update that how to. Since I changed that at the same time I was messing with the carb I'm not sure what made the difference, but the tach doesn't seem to bounce as much and the idle is more consistent. It feels like I have faster acceleration, but I think that's probably just in my head I have gotten mine to idle fairly consistently at 1000-1300. My idle creeps up toward 2000 when it's hot too. 9 of my 15 mile commute is expressway so I'm usually 7/8 to WOT. The 16t front sprocket took a little off the top end but made the freeway more comfortable. It also allows me to drop down to 4th on the freeway if I need the extra power. Either these engines are pretty tough or I got lucky. I did once accidentally down shift to 3rd instead of upshifting at 68mph. I guess I was quick enuff to get on the clutch. I was shocked at how little difference there is between a 130 and 140 jet. I figured it would run aweful if it was rich. I first bought 140-150 jets from the same guy Jame got his. When 140 seemed too rich I got the 130-137.5 jets I figure I could get a little more power with the 132.5 jet, but I'd rather run a little lean to get better fuel economy. I plan to add one of those brake light flashers and put in a relay to cut off the head light when you start the bike.

Login or Register to Remove Ads