View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
dentheman

Re: Some things I have noticed while riding.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the front brake, but reviews I have read make mention of the "weak" or "wooden" front brake in some derogatory manner, and I agree. Also the 70% braking by the front brake is not necessarily true with some cruisers that have the front wheel sticking out and the rider sitting low and toward the rear of the bike, like the Shadow (or so I have read). What I have noticed is I just have to use light foot pressure on the rear brake, but much more hand pressure on the front brake to get what feels like even braking.

As far as the turns, I know what I am supposed to do, but putting it into practice will require more riding on my part. It doesn't happen much, but I find unknown curves hidden by hills sometimes require correction while in the turn.

I have read Hough's Proficient Motorcycling. I probably need to read up again on curves, and practice them specifically. I am still learning, and have only found the twisties four days ago, so they are new to me.

I am chalking this up to being new to riding and posted it under Beginners for that reason. Just things that I have noticed as I ride.

Also, when I went through the course, the instructors emphasized always using both brakes, I don't believe they ever mentioned just using one brake.