View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 12:19 AM   #12
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainlinecoffee View Post
I think that's the thing he used to keep his face on his head and off the pavement...good point I didn't even think of.
34% of get offs result in a face plant. Full face is the only way to go. I believe in ATGATT because there is the added protection of armor in the knees, hips, elbows and shoulders if you go down. Actual riding boots and leather gloves are a must.
You may be the best and safest rider in the world but a Buick backing out of a driveway can still get you. It can happen in the blink of an eye.
I have textile pants and a jacket that are machine washable when they get dirty or covered in bugs. Just pull out the armor and add a bit of soap.
The final decision is up to the individual and the amount of risk he or she is willing to take. Riding a motorcycle is risky enough without going half naked in the process. I rode 2 or 3 times with only jeans instead of riding pants. Felt good and cool in the warm weather but if I had a fall my knees might never be the same.
Ask BurksBuild about his slow speed crash 2 or 3 years ago. It was quite devastating both physically and emotionally but he fought back with all his might to get on 2 wheels again. All because of a dog on the loose and it ran out to get him. BB is a safe rider with many miles under his belt but stuff happens.