Thread: Change Your Oil
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 06:12 PM   #20
Easy Rider

Re: Lower Oil Results: WORSE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch
Easy Rider, I would be more than willing to check the clutch adjustment - I just don't know how.

As for me, back to work (this time in a cage) and off to buy some regular 10W40 oil.
What year is your bike? You REALLY need an owner's manual. I think someone has posted a link somewhere on here to an online copy.

What I should have said is check the adjustment of the clutch CABLE, not the clutch itself.

There should be a tiny bit of free play in the clutch lever; that is, the lever should move just a tiny bit before you feel resistance from the clutch. The adjustment is at the lever end of the cable.....near to where the cable attaches to the lever.

For this to be visible, you may have to slide a rubber boot out of the way.

If there is NO free play in the lever, this can cause the clutch to slip because the tight cable may not be allowing it to engage fully. The adjustment should be somewhat obvious when you get the boot out of the way. If not let us know.

As for the oil, (probably too late now) you probably should get motorcycle specific oil.......since you are already having clutch slippage problems.

Here's hoping that the cable is too tight and adjusting it fixes the problem without changing oil.