View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #18
mrlmd1

Re: Draggin pegs at the Dragon

NO, and don't even suggest that! :twisted: He said he was coming to Florida, I'm going to have to take a vacation back up to NY/NJ so I don't bump into him.

Those bikes ARE way over, they also have much better tires, different rubber (stickier compound), a smoother track, sometimes banked a little, but the only reason they can go that fast (100-150mph on the turns) is because the rider has his weight right off the ground. If the rider tried to stay upright, the bike would be on it's side sliding off the track. It's like watching those road racers in the sidecars leaning way over - shifting the center of gravity off to the side, or hiking out in a small sailboat to keep it from going over. Same idea, different application.
I'm not saying don't lean the bike -the bike MUST lean in the turn, it's the geometry of the steering linkage - what was trying to be said, again, is that is YOU lean to the inside, then the BIKE doesn't have to AS MUCH in the turn, so the traction of the wheels on the road is better, plus you don't hit a peg or something else to upset you and/or the bike.
You may have scraped the peg on the Strat because it could have been leaned over too far making a very slow turn, so if you had shifted your weight, like by sliding your ass to the outside of the seat during the turn, or putting your weight on the outside foot peg, you may have kept the bike more upright and not scraped. Again, shifting the center of gravity. It's basically opposite for low and high speed turns, kapish?

Maybe he'll take a trip out to CA and see you guys out there. :biggrin: :poke2: :lol: