View Single Post
Old 10-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #7
burkbuilds

Thanks everyone, this has always been a very supportive community of riders and it continues to prove itself so.
Had a follow up appointment with the surgeon yesterday and good news is my right foot is healing well and they are pleased with the progress and expect that baring any unusual and unforeseen complications I should be keeping the foot. YEA! The x-rays of my leg were way more than I expected to see. I basically have steel rods from one end to the other in my femur and tibia along with the side plate and screws holding my upper tibia fracture together and my lower tibia is basically just fragments held together by steel rods and plates and screws. I couldn't believe all the bone fragments I was seeing and they tell me that as long as they are touching the main bone anywhere they will eventually fill in and be bonded back together, although a little misshapen, they will work. I also found out that it will be almost 12 months of therapy on the foot before I've reached however much use is possible out of it so that is along way off. On the other hand, I go back Dec 4th for the next checkup and if there's been enough bone growth at that point then they'll let me start weight bearing exercises at that point but that just depends on what they see. Thanks again for everyone's thoughts and prayers, it means a lot when you are flat on your back and can't even get out of bed without help. I did manage to bend the leg up to 57 degrees by myself today with my physical therapist, that's a big improvement. I couldn't bend it more than a few degrees last week without assistance.