View Single Post
Old 05-25-2014, 06:11 PM   #1
benmb

Forward Controls

I stand 6'2" and have an inseam of 33", I like my legs "almost straight" when I ride..

Anyway, my forward (and lowered) controls for GZ250:

1. Lowes - 1.5" x 1/4" strip steel. Cut 5" length.
2. Drill 7/16" drill bit holes at angle approx. 20-30 degrees (or whatever the 2 holes for the controls are) 1 15/16" apart (center to center). These are for connecting to the supports.
3. Drill 7/16" diameter (1 15/16" apart) holes but "in line" with bottom edge of steel for the foot pegs. These bolts are 10mm 1.25 thread.

Left side threaded rod for shifting:
1. This has to be "mocked up a little" to find the required final length to reach from shifter to control. I used a nylon spacer (lowes) threaded internally for 8mm (threads of the rod) and cut a 35mm long 8mm bolt head to get the short piece of threaded rod to go the shifter. The nylon is pretty sturdy - if it breaks, I will upgrade to steel spacer threaded similarly.
2. Other thought was one good long piece of 8mm threaded rod perhaps a long steel tube over it for stiffness. 8mm threaded rod hard to get in the states..

Right side brake control:
1. Some of the lower portion of the steel facing to the rear needs to be removed so that the control can be bolted to the strip.. I may have gone a little overboard there, but no harm no foul.
1. Lowes sells "hobby project" connectors - thin strips of steel with small holes drilled every 1/2" or so..
once brake control is forward, cut these to length, drill larger (1/4") hole for small peg and connecting to control, and adjust brake as necessary (and brake light switch spring as well, if needed).. I used 2 of these strips. Again, if these fail, I can find a more "sturdy" solution.

So far I have about 100 miles on this setup... no problems.. peg does touch occasionally on large leaning turn.. much more comfortable overall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg right forward.jpg (20.0 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg left forward.jpg (39.7 KB, 110 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads