View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 08:28 AM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Since the range is only around 60 miles, I would just ditch the bulky side and top cases and stream line the bike as much as possible. Lightening the load and giving the beast some semblance of aerodynamics would improve it's range some. No one is going to be loading down those storage bins for a 400 trek if they can only go 30 miles in one direction.

It's very common from what I've seen for people who do this to load the center of the bike with all of the battery weight, which I have also found a little perplexing. Even simply building a small aluminum frame to lower the battery pack would make more sense to me.

The limit to power and range really comes from the batteries more than anything else though. Home conversions aren't something that most people who have tons and tons of money will do. They do home conversions to save money and they choose their battery packs to save money. When the higher end stuff becomes more affordable, then these home conversions will likewise have more range and make them a little more appealing to those on the outside.

Last edited by jonathan180iq; 04-29-2014 at 08:33 AM.