Thread: Jetting: Part 1
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 01:34 PM   #25
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq

The point is that the removal of the compact air box and the replacement of the restrictive cottom element with a pod filter will significantly increase air flow.
Not sure I completely agree with that .......but don't completely disagree either. :cool:

You've made your case; I'll make mine and then we can move on. Probably won't be able to "prove" it one way or the other with any scientific certainty. :roll:

Air box:
Is HUGE, compared to the carb throat. Can't see how that the box itself would offer any significant restriction. (And I think at one point you said you weren't sure that removal was worth the hassle).

Filter/air inlet:
Some restriction both these places. Some easy (and reversible) changes can be made here.

What I plan to do: (hopefully in the next week or so):

Borrow or buy a moto-tool so that I can remove the center of a stock filter (while leaving the mounting tabs for the diverter). This should remove a lot of restriction, with a much bigger hole and access to more of the filter element. I might then rotate the filter 90 degrees and put the diverter back on facing forward; will try it both ways.
This change can be reversed simply by getting a new stock filter.

Since it seems that nobody has done it (this way), I plan to drill 4 each 1/4 inch holes in the muffler back plate, INSIDE the ring. This change can be reversed by tapping the holes and screwing in 1/4 inch machine bolts (stainless, probably).

If these two changes achieve the desired result, I may then have a LOT MORE interest in your jetting project !!!! If not, nothing lost.

Login or Register to Remove Ads