View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #20
burkbuilds

Re: Running "Darkside"

I've put about 1,000 miles on the car tire now. Fuel economy about the same, can't really tell any difference there. The "feel" is different. A lot of the people I've read posts from that switched to a car tire said that they got used to it and didn't notice it after a short time. I can't say that. I can still feel a difference. Kinda hard to put it into words, but I will try. The car tire reacts to some things that the motorcycle tire ignored, but it also dismisses things that the motorcycle tire was affected by. Examples, grooves in the road and long gouges left in the highway by car wheel rims when their tires blew out are less noticeable with the car tire on my bike. Uneven pavement is more noticeable though. When you are in a curve one direction and pop back up over the top and lean the other direction, the feel is seamless on a motorcycle tire, but on the car tire you feel like you hit a flat spot at the top. I've also noticed that in cold wet weather, you need to get a few miles on the car tire before it "sticks" as good as the motorcycle tire. The only time I've felt it "slide" a little was leaving work on a cold rainy day and pulling out in a fairly sharp left turn while aggressively accelerating onto the street. Now it's possible that I would have had the same "feel" with the motorcycle tire, not sure if I've ever had that exact set of circumstances when I had the bike tire on or not, but I've done it twice with the car tire. Never lost control or anything, just felt like it slid a little bit. Having said that, I'm happy with the change if it gets me double the mileage I was getting from much more expensive motorcycle tires. I plan to ride it out and see how well it wears. If this was a motorcycle tire it would be out of tread by June at the latest, so it shouldn't take long to answer this question.