View Single Post
Old 12-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf View Post
I've had my GZ for 6½ years. In our warm climate I never even had to use the choke to start up. However, for the last couple of months I've started having to use the choke. When ridden regularly, it's started up within 2 or 3 seconds of pressing the starter, but if not ridden for a couple of days, I've had starting problems. It just wouldn't start unless I put it in prime for a minute or so, then took 5 or 6 seconds to fire up. I felt sure that I had a carb problem. Before I stripped the carb I decided to charge the battery, as I thought I may have run it down a bit, trying to start. After charging to 13.32 volts, it dropped to 12.36 volts. I reckoned that this was a bit low, so I bit the bullet and went down to the local vehicle spares shop, and got the equivalent battery to the factory fitted one for €30.00 ($41.00). Charged it overnight, fitted it, and, voila, the bike started, immediately, at the touch of the button. Just goes to show that what seems to be a carb problem can be something else entirely.
I had a similar problem when I purchased my used gz250 last September. I eventually ordered a new 12v 7ah agm battery off ebay for $22.00 . all I had to do was install it and it cranked right up. It was sent fully charged.

Login or Register to Remove Ads