View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 11:04 AM   #1
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider
Push start your GZ.

I had been starting and warming up my bike every few weeks to keep the battery fresh. However I got busy and neglected it for too long and the battery could only turn the motor over a few times before it was too weak to do that. If you find yourself stranded with a dead battery or are feeling too lazy to hook up a charger you can push start the bike. I wouldn't try this on wet pavement and if you're dumb enuff to try this in something other than a parking lot or very low traffic street and you get hit while trying this then you probably deserve it. Think of it as bleach for the gene pool
Steps to push start:
1) Open fuel valve to prime to ensure the float bowl is full of gas.
2) Set choke at about 3/4 or slightly higher than you would normally set it when you start the bike.
3) Put the bike in 2nd or 3rd gear (using first will likely just lock up the back wheel)
4) Turn the key to the "on" position
5) Pull in clutch and push the bike running next to it with both hands on the handle bars.
6) Make sure to keep the throttle fully closed until after it is started.
7) Once you are pushing it as fast as you can run, make sure you have a good grip and release the clutch.
8) Once the engine is firing, hop on
9) Slowly ease on the throttle, if you immediately go wide open it will likely stall.
10) Go for a 20 minute or longer ride to make sure your battery gets enuff of a charge to start again.

EDIT: 9/2020
My experience with another motorcycle that may also be applicable to the GZ250: If you can't get it to start, try to quickly go full throttle and pull in the clutch immediately when the engine "pops" (obviously don't hold it at full throttle, just keep the revs up).

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by Quimrider; 09-30-2020 at 01:46 AM. Reason: updates from experience.