View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Push start your GZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimrider
I had been starting and warming up my bike every few weeks to keep the battery fresh.

3) Put the bike in 1st or 2nd gear (You may need to use 2nd gear if using first just lock up the back wheel.)

8) Once the engine is firing, hop on
I appreciate your good will in posting this to share with others but a couple of things need to be said:

1) It has been discussed here before (maybe not with you) that it is not good practice to start a bike without riding it in the winter time. That applies to all bikes and especially the GZ, on which there is a net DIS-charge when the bike is at idle.

2) Now that you have run the battery WAY down, it is likely that you will need a new one.........yes, even if you hook up a charger and charge it back up. Only time will tell that for sure (or take it out and get it tested).

3) It is highly unlikely that the bikes charging system will ever bring it back up to a full charge even if the battery is still OK so a charger is necessary............and would probably have prevented the dilema in the first place.

4) One should NEVER try to push start a bike in FIRST gear; bad things are likely to happen. 2nd or even 3rd gear works MUCH better.

5) One should apply your rear to the seat BEFORE letting out the clutch. This is especially important for those folks who are somewhat .....coordination challanged......because the bike can run away without you if you do it while your feet are still on the ground. Not a pleasant experience !!!