View Single Post
Old 05-22-2019, 07:23 AM   #10
yashbhatt215

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacio View Post
Its possible that the cam chain tensioner was removed/not working while cranking. Be careful not to cause more damage. If bike had sticking valve - I would start from removing head cover and checking few things - including timing, valve clearances, state if the cam lobes and rocker arms. You will see if valves are moving or stuck open. They'd be stuck if head was not getting oil.
So last night I checked to see if the valves were moving in the small amount of rotation that I'm able to crank the piston. The intake valves move up and down, but the exhaust valves do not move at all. I tried to take off the cylinder head cover but I'm stuck on these two bolts that are starting to strip. Who knew the hardest part about working on a motorcycle would be taking the bolts and screws off! Anyway, my guess is the exhaust valves are stuck open. I'm gonna have to figure out how to get the head cover off first. There is definitely oil in the head.

If the exhaust valves are stuck open does that mean I can pull on them or loosen them up to get them moving again? I'd imagine that could mess with the timing of the cams?

Also I still need to do a wet compression test. Maybe If I put some oil in the spark plug hole I'll get some compression.