View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 05:32 AM   #28
Road_Clam

Re: Insane, growing, electrical problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNTired

And you, my friend, win the prize! I took the cover off of the solenoid (you made it easy to find), and there were TWO 20 Amp fuses! One was fine, the other was blown. Replaced the blown one, and that took care of the power problem.
Then, I started the engine. Just for laughs I checked the R/R output: at idle it put out as high as 12.0V, at 3000RPM it only put out 9. Next I checked the stator output; 65+VAC! Then, I took the battery to the local Advance store and had it checked: it was declred to be fine - not bad for a 6 yr old battery.
So, all considered, it seems that the R/R is bad. Must be, everything else is good!

And now I'd like to thank you all, you guys have been fantastic and a lot of help to someone who is truly old and tired. And to be honest, I am not 'west of hell', I am west of Pgh., Pa. Halfway between Pgh. and Weirton, W.Va. If any of you ever pass this way, let me know and the beer is on me. Thanks again. posting.php?mode=quote&f=7&p=61399#
Glad to help, and you saved yourself a few bucks, and got your feet wet with m/c electrical diagnostic skill as well ! Good job.
2001 KX500
2007 YZ450F
2001 GZ250 (Wife's !)