View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #19
burkbuilds

Re: S50 reviews / chat

I've never had a fuel injected bike, but I've had a lot of fuel injected vehicles, and yes, when they are working correctly, which is most of the time, they can't be beat, however, when they stop working correctly, which has happened to me twice, you can spend a fortune on them and not resolve the problem. I spent over $1200 on a truck trying to get the fuel injection working properly. I took it to the Ford dealer, lots of money, no solution, I went to Goodyear, same, a couple of specialty automotive electronic shops and a general repair mechanic. Everyone was able to able to make it run right, for a few hours, until the computer had time to adjust itself (and yes, the computer got replaced once too), then it would stall every time you took your foot off the gas. Final solution, I ripped the entire top end off that engine, put an aftermarket intake manifold and a four barrel on it and the problem stopped!

Having said all of that, I understand why you might want to stick with a carb. Yeah, they are more trouble in general, but at least they are simple, problems are obvious and a competent mechanic can rebuild one himself using basic tools.

I just sold my modern fuel injected Ford Ranger and bought a 1981 F-100 with a straight six and a single barrel carburetor, a three speed automatic C-6 transmission and a Ford 9" rear end. All very reliable mechanically, easy for the average home mechanic to maintain, and cheap to rebuild if necessary.