View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 06:03 AM   #14
Badbob

I prefer to ride the bike with nothing on it at all. I don't even like the sissy bar. However, for me this is not practical. If you only ride on weekends when the weather is nice, don't get to far from home, never go shopping on your bike, and don't stray to far from the beaten path this works. I ride every day weather and circumstances permitting. I ride pretty far off the beaten path. In spite of what the phone companies say most cell phones do not work very far out side of densely populated areas or major highways. If you have a flat you fix it yourself on the side of the road or get ready to do some serious walking. I take long rides occasionally. As much as 475 miles in a day so far. I need to carry tools and parts as well as rain gear clothing in some sort of secure lockable storage that can't be easily be removed with out tools. For commuting I want easy access I don't want to spend 40 minutes a day loading and unloading my bike. After trying lots of stuff I decided that this was the way to go. So far its working well except that the boxes are to small. My rain gear completely fills one box. I ride in the rain.

Why not adapt plastic boxes? There are plastic boxes available but after reading some stories about what happens to them when they hit the ground I decided that this was not a solution. They break spilling your gear and they are expensive. Sometimes very expensive.

Why not leather? Expensive! Not lockable. Not capable of carrying much weight. High maintenance. Can't keep the rain out of them.