View Single Post
Old 03-18-2007, 03:49 PM   #2
Badbob

I'm not sure I understand what your asking.

My bikes all have a two element bulb in the front. One element burns all the time and the other flashes when the turn signal for that side is selected. Electronically speaking, this is the same thing as having two pairs of bulbs on the front. One set for turn signals and one set for running lights. The running lights are not a big deal. As long as the new running light doesn't exceed the current capacity for the circuit it will work fine.

Turn signals are another matter altogether. Traditional Flashers are current sensitive and are designed to work in a specific current range. If you draw to much current it will flash to fast or maybe burn out. If you don't draw enough they blink to slow or not at all. Many of the LED replacements for turn signals require you to add a resistor to the circuit that acts as a current sink so the turn signals will draw the proper amount of current and cycle the flasher at the desired interval. This defeats the power savings you get from installing the LEDs. There are electronic flashers but I have never seen a schematic of one and don't know how they work yet. They could just have the resistor built in. I sincerly hope this is not the case because I want to change mine to LEDs to get more power for other things such as GPS and additional lighting.

II think the Y will screw up your turn signals. If I hook up a bulb/LED to 12 volts with a wire I have 12 volts across the LED. If I hook a second 12 volt wire from the same source this is not any different than connecting one larger wire. its the same 12 volts. It doesn't add. If the Y works for LEDs there has to be more there than just wire. Also keep in mind that anything made for an LED may not handle the current from a 20 watt bulb and you'll get a smoke leak. If you let all the smoke leak out it will stop working.

This is really hard to explain without being able to draw schematics and do a little simple math.

The only way I can think of to make a single element bulb work where you now have a dual element bulb is to change the flasher so it interrupts the circuit to the running light to flash it. In this case you would not have a running light while the bulb was flashing. I don't know if they make such a thing but it is certainly possible.