View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 11:56 PM   #7
tommyjoebilly

Re: I heard marbles rattling in the engine and it just stopp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
Thrown rod comes to mind, or broken/jammed cam chain leading to valves getting beaten to a pulp.
I'd lean toward a valve problem. A broken rod tends to make much bigger noises......and a bigger mess too !!

Flip a coin for which cover comes off first. I guess the bottom one would be a little easier but I really think the problem is going to be on the top. Of course, if a valve beat up on the piston, both covers will have to come off anyway.

Wonder if there is any chance of a broken starter mechanism jamming the flywheel ??
Funny you should say that, EasyRider! Prior to this incident, even many weeks before, sometimes when I started it, it would make a nasty "grinding" noise, like a garbage disposal gone bad. I would say, "Whoa! Ok!!" and then start it again. After the incident, I did remove the starter and the middle of all the splines had lost about 20 percent of their "stock". But the noise was much "heavier" than some little bits of metal, unless it led to larger pieces (gears?) breaking down??
Thanks so much, Easy, for your post!