View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 09:56 AM   #20
roncg41677

Re: Backfiring and uneven idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. softie
I had similar problem when I first got my gz. It had been sitting. Would not run without pumping throttle. Backfiring like crazy. Tried stuff in gas. I "sort of" cleaned the carb three times. Finally I *!completely!* disassembled carb and soaked all the jets etc. including the body (after removing all the rubber parts) in straight carb cleaner (gumout) overnight. Pay attention to the idle mixture air screw. There is an "O" ring down in that tiny hole. You must remove it and all other plastic and rubber parts or the carb cleaner will ruin them. There are tiny passages in the body that get clogged up. Soaking is the only way to clear them.

This worked. I blew out all the passages with compressed air. Checked float level. Reassembled carb. Installed and really tightened hose clamps holding the carb. Like new bike now.
That's encouraging . Did you have to buy a rebuild kit? Or were you able to replace all of the rubber parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Yes, poking wires into jets is not a good thing to do.......for an amateur.
Uuuuh, :oops: . I didn't actually do it. A friend of mine did. Hope it didn't mess anything up :puke: .
~ Matthew 6:33 ~