Thread: Change Your Oil
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 11:11 PM   #24
Easy Rider

Re: Thanks Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch
From your description, I belive that my clutch is adjusted properly. I can pull it in and the friction zone is between a third and two-thirds of the way to the grip.
I'm not trying to be snippy here but this is important.

I said nothing about friction zone. Friction zone is hard to gauge by feel. Slack is not.
It is the SLACK that is important. With everything released (IE you not touching anything) there MUST be slack in the cable/lever. You measure this by taking 2 fingers and LIGHTLY trying to move the clutch lever back and forth; it should move at least 5 MM, measured at the end of the lever, with virtually 0 force applied. Or to put it another way, when fully engaged, there should be some "slop" in the lever.

If the cable is too tight, the clutch will not engage fully and will slip.

Maybe you got that from the previous message but your response didn't really indicate that.

My guess: The high solvent content of the MMO has penetrated the clutch plates and made them soft. The slippage just happened to show up about the time you put in the synthetic oil. The damage may be permanent.

Let's hope not and that either a cable adjustment or new oil solves the problem. I would love to be wrong about that!