Thread: Change Your Oil
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 09:31 PM   #28
Stretch

Clutch Cable Adjusted...

Ok, I opened up the service manual and a maintenance book and took a look. (No offense taken Easy Rider -- I know what you mean and I agree.)

Initially the clutch handle moved through about 15 degrees of arc (5mm at the tip approximately) with slight resistance before hitting the "friction zone." When I took the rubber boot off, the tail end of the lever at the pivot point would seat itself against the arm (no space between the silver leading edge of the handle and the black trailing edge of the support just above the pivot).

When I adusted it to get 15MM of play the lever falls back and rests at the edge of the friction zone with a wide gap at the pivot point under the rubber boot. So, BadBob, I think I have it finally fully slack. There is no resistance at all, in fact, when I push the lower clutch lever (the one at the other end of the clutch cable that is on top of the engine housing) all the way to the right (which I believe is completely disengaged), it will slide back about 20 degrees to the resting position. So the clutch itself will push the clutch lever outward to some extent.

I just tried the bike and the friction zone is dramatically decreased. Where before I could engage the clutch with a couple fingers still resting between the lever and the handlebar, now the friction zone starts about an inch and a half from the bar and goes until full contact with the bar. Shifting is a bit quicker but not a subtle as before. I am still getting some slippage in 5th, but nothing I could detect in the lower gears. Traffic however held me up, so there is still a question mark on that. However, now I was at 63 MPH before the slippage and it was easier to handle than before with less playing around with the throttle.

I don't think that I adjusted it too tightly because when I hold the clutch fully in (lever against the grip), the bike doesn't creep forward.

My question is this... (and I haven't found it so far in the books I have looked at or the service manual): When at "rest" should the springs in the clutch hold that lower arm fully to the right (rearward) or is it ok to have it pull itself into a position about one-third of the way across its path of travel? I am wondering if my clutch is wearing out...

The syntec is still inside it and I haven't lubed the cable as yet.

I appreciate the help.
-Bob
:bow: