View Single Post
Old 12-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

If the bike is starting and running, then you're actually already ahead of the game, considering how long it sat for.

How new is the gas? I would flush the tank if it's kind of old and then pour in a half gallon of fresh fuel and a higher-than-normal concentration of Berryman's or Seafoam or something similar. (I use Marvel Mystery oil, but I'm weird.)

I know it's cold, but take the bike for a little ride. Get that stuff flowing through there. Bundle up and devote 30 minutes to tooling around. These bikes can't sit and idle for long periods of time... They turn into golden/melted paper weights. Not kidding. Don't just crank them and let them sit. They're air cooled. They need air flow for that to happen.

Anyway, once you get the new gas and carb cleaner flowing through there, then you can let it sit for a while. If you are shutting the bike down for the season and just don't want to ride it at all, then drain the carb of fuel from the bottom of the float bowl and then perform all of the maintenance that you want to do and cover it up. (If you leave gas in there, it will just varnish and you'll have more work to do in the Spring. Take the battery off the bike and get a battery tender to keep it topped off. Air up the tires, lube the chain, change the oil, and then cover her up for hibernation.

Login or Register to Remove Ads