View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 01:31 PM   #3
Pmhearns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
Gearing is pretty good from my experience on the GZ. Going down one tooth on the front will make 1st gear pretty useless. You will be revved out far too quickly. Adding 1 or 2 teeth to the rear sprocket might be more acceptable to your intended riding but keep in mind the cost of a rear sprocket is not cheap.

I would suggest leaving well enough alone till you need to replace the chain and sprockets and then experiment with adding and subtracting teeth.

I gathered this concept from when i changed my gsxr600 to a 'quick accel' kit tjat came -1+2 (FRONT REAR). now i know the 600 is a completly differmt animal than the 250, but the math behind gearing remains the same. I lost some of my top end torque and speed but gained more usuable torque in the bottom end. And yes the the gz has a good feel already, which out of my 600, my vs1400, tbis ride is my favorite. The chain is likely the 17 yo original at only 9500 on the odo and a few of the links are tight. So during my build it will inevitably be replaced for function as well as the look of a new chain. But the core of my question comes from what i have read about uncorking this little bike. Pod filter, velocity tube, straight pipes(posibly with baffle) will cause the engine to spin more freely allowing highrr top speed and no real low end torque gain.... im not concernee with going 75 or 80mph, i have a vs1400 that cruises at that in its sleep lol..

If i am wrong about whqt effects of the mods i mentioned please correct me. I am not leaving the air box on, its getting gutted. I may wrap the pod for vacuum purposes but i will be jetting to match, which reminds, me, do you habe a good starting number?

Login or Register to Remove Ads