View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 02:41 AM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Re: Slightly obscure motorcycle crash scenarios to keep in m

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsidegz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Keep your foot on the rear brake in case you get bumped by some one. Do not use the front brake while stopped as that will likely bring you down if bumped.
Didn't know this. I always use the front brake (don't remember this coming up in the training courses). :shocked:
Your training course is designed to help to pass the test, not survive every bad situation that will happen. Did you read Proficient Motorcycling?? Most training courses are patterned after the author's writings but can't be totally included in 2 or 3 days of training.
Being bumped from behind with the rear brake on will allow the bike to be pushed forward with the rear wheel skidding. If the front brake has been applied and the bars are slightly turned then you are in a position to fall due to the geometry of the front end. David Hough goes into great detail in his writing about front end geometry and how it affects a bike whether in motion or stationary. Read the book. It far exceeds most if not all training courses. I am not knocking your training, you took the training which many riders will never do. The book will expand your knowledge and your training will be re-enforced with wonderful results. You will be a better rider, a safer rider and a happier rider. I took the course after decades of riding and came out with knowledge that I never dreamed existed. Suddenly my top heavy Vstrom with a mind of it's own became very user friendly and much more relaxing to ride. Lynda took the course as a newbie rider and did extremely well. Time for her road test followed by an examiner and guess what he said. Congratulations, you are the best I've tested in years. Yup, training and reading helps more than you will ever know ........so go do it all and you can't help but be a better rider.