View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
alanmcorcoran

Re: California Camp Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
That is a nice route and very little slab riding. Quite a variety of terrain too from mountains to coastal roads. Good thing the alphabet is not shorter. lol.
There were actually quite a few more "interesting" roads I went on than show on the Google Map. Here are ten of them that I remember in the order of awesomeness:

1) Armstrong Woods - about 6 feet wide with impossible grade hairpins, loose gravel and eventually dirt. After I completed this one without dumping, I declared myself a newb no longer.
2) Stewarts Point Road. Runs from the Coast to Healdsburg. 47 miles of twisty, sometimes super twisty, only saw 4 cars, none in my direction. Lake Sonoma towards the civilized end.
3) Joy Road, Mountain View Road, River Road, Bodega Highway - all in Sonoma County. Joy was well named - like Space Mountain on a motorcycle. Almost got killed taking a picture on Mountain View when a guy rounded a hairpin and barely missed me. No more pictures on that road.
4) California 33 through lower Los Padres. Super twisty, steep, etc,
5) Kanan Dume and Mulholland, Malibu.
6) Route 180 to "Road's End" in Kings Canyon National Park. Stunning. Twisty. Gorgeous.
7) Route 120 over Tioga Pass (Yosemite National Park)
8) Route 128 from Cloverdale to Albion (Redwood highway). Passes through Booneville and Philo.
9) California 1 - still hard to beat, especially above San Fran.
10) Rte 395 - Not a nice road but hotter than hell and windy as hell and if it doesn't kill you will make you stronger (and sore.)