View Single Post
Old 08-05-2007, 06:59 PM   #13
Jaime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimrider
Interesting I wonder what other differences there are between the model years. Mine is a 2000 and I'm almost sure it doesn't have a rev limiter. I about loaded my pants when I was playing with the new tach and saw it rev way past the 8K mark. Not ALL electronic ignitions have rev limiters. Although I'd believe about 99% of them do. I converted my air cooled VW to a solid state electronic ignition system and I am certain it has no rev limiter of any sort. The tach I have on that goes up to 8K RPM and bad things start to happen to an aircooled VW engine when you get much above 4000 RPM
Transistorized ignition doesn't limit the max revolutions. It's used in older GZ250s.
The full electronic ignition "chip" can be programmed to stop the ignition at certain revs, it's not an independent system, so if you adapted a kit to your VW it won't have the limiter pre-set.

To check if your bike has rev limiter, you simply have to run on a leveled terrain on 3rd shift till it wouldn't accelerate anymore, just a couple of seconds. If it reaches relatively constant rpms, it doesn't have limiter. If it does a regular oscilation like , it's the rev limiter. When it acts, the initial feeling is like you were out of gasoline.

Login or Register to Remove Ads